mardi 14 avril 2009

Flavours of life.

One of the things about growing up in a HDB unit that is not on the highest floor is that you occasionally hear rhythmic pounding noises from the unit above.

You know how those sounds come about, because they're heard the loudest in the kitchen, and you've watched your grandma occasionally take out her mortar and pestle, settle down on the kitchen floor and pound a blend of garlic, chili and other spices into her own Hainanese chili sauce version. (which I'm sure is very delicious, but I don't eat chili so I wouldn't know how exactly it tastes like)

And sometimes I hear sounds like that here too, and I'm momentarily transported back to Block 533, 4th storey, in the 1990s. However, there is nobody living above me in this townhouse, and in about 5 seconds I am rudely jolted back to the reality that nobody is pounding any spice blend in a unit above mine, the sounds are from next door, and from a different event altogether. (Although pounding and mortar and pestle could be used as metaphors I guess...)