mercredi 11 février 2009

Life in a hurry

I just spent CAD$3 (SGD$3.70) on a cup of lychee bubble tea. I don't believe this - caving into temptation and buying something so ridiculously expensive. Back home I can get a cup of my favourite milk tea with pearls for SGD$1.50 =|

Its 6c today, and everything is melting, as usual. It was raining in the morning and I came to the happy conclusion that my beautiful polyester coat isn't waterproof. I am currently wishing for either more spring-ish clothing (kicks myself for not bringing more of my usual clothes over), or a nice jacket that isn't as thick and warm as the ones I have, and waterproof too. (In my mind's eye I can visualise a dark blue/brown Paddington Bear-ish jacket long enough to cover half my thighs, with cute buttons down the front... something similar to my polyester coat but waterproof and without the stuffing.) And I hope that my suede boots are going to be sufficiently water-resistant/proof too, don't fancy having wet toes in wet socks.

The suckiest thing about the weather turning warm is all the snow melting into water when the temperatures are above 0, and then turning back into ice when the mercury dips back below 0 at night. Because it definitely isn't a joy to slip around on icy roads, and I pride myself on being surefooted under challenging walking conditions...

Skating lessons are fun, I'm managing to stop on ice! The only problem is, I fell down 5 times? during lesson yesterday, on top of the giant bruises I've been getting while practicing. The good thing about falling yesterday was that it was generally due to losing my balance after stopping, so impact was generally minimal ^^

Did a presentation on IVF today, and we didn't manage to keep within the time limits, which sounds more serious that it is because we were literally cut off after 10 mins and we haven't even gone into the controversies. I hope it isn't completely all my fault because I presented first, and I consistently ran into overtime during rehearsals. But I really cut short what I had originally to say, hopefully it was within 3-4 minutes =| Aye guilt trip. Perhaps I should have offered to present the tail end, because my grades will all be S/U anyway... (not that I'm actually actively seeking to depress my grades, but it probably physically matters more to them than me currently...) One thing I'm finding impossible to do, is to continue with my attempts to adopt the singaporean version of the canadian accent when I'm having a scientific discussion or presentation. Its easy enough when I'm talking about general stuff, thoughts and opinions, but it all goes downhill when I'm talking science.

So that's one assignment, one presentation down; now for 2 midterms and it'd be spring break! Unfortunately for me my friends have all elected to go to Quebec City, Montreal and New York for the week, and I've been to all 3 of them in the summer. Then again, I'm not adverse to visiting my lovely Montreal in winter (Schwartz and St Viateur's bagels and Rue St Catherine and Mont Royale and Parlez vous anglais-ing, here I come!!!!), and since there'd be some sort of winter festival in QC it should look and feel pretty different from the lovely summertime. So I guess I'd be doing the touristy stuff in QC and Montreal with the rest of them, but while they head back south and down to NY for the touristy stuff (I'm reasoning that the statue of liberty is going to look the same come summer or winter) I will stay and go to/do the random things I enjoyed at my OTOT. Or I could head to Ottawa, but I don't feel like going alone =| And speaking of which, I need to check that I have accommodation while in Montreal ><

Depending on my funds after my entire semester is over, I'm thinking of going to Halifax, or doing a (really budgeted) Trans-Canada trip. Not really keen on going to the US right now because 1. I got influenced by H's enthusiasm for the beauty of Canada's landscapes, and 2. I'm in Canada, I should see Canada! We'd see. Syah and I feel like doing some physical activity, like hiking, but I'm not sure if its suicidal because its afterall in a country and terrain that we're not familiar with.

Okay enough of rambling, time to get back to work. Oh, and lunch before that.

------------------

Should post this before I forget:

During sf on Monday morning Guelph time - we're studying Genesis!

(On loincloths)
"Oh wow Adam and Eve somehow knew what to cover eh? Notice they made loincloths, not socks... or gloves..."

If any of my housemates heard hysterical laughter early in the morning, that would have been me.

-----------------

Its always during mid term time that I freak out over my CAP and my hopes of continuing education after graduation. =|

And I woke up this morning after dreaming that I was actually accepted for graduate studies in a particular field in a particular university in a particular city that I love, and I know that when I dream of it this way, its not going to happen.

Ouch.