jeudi 1 janvier 2009

From Singapore to Toronto

At the airport...
ny/hc/life science buddies! heeheehee. Although we only knew each other at n*us... soki will miss us - I'm in Toronto/Guelph and yiteng's gonna be in Canberra!!

alex and damian... damian has been having this phase of looking like a particular opposition leader in singapore - guess who? -snicker-

Of course, the bf.

And so I boarded LH779 nach Frankfurt... And it was a great landing. Definitely the smoothest.

Ah well, Frankfurt, how I missed you =P
While drinking tea at the macdonalds there....

And then I boarded AC873 to Toronto... and from then on it was a struggle with my luggage, but I managed to reach the hostel (Clarence Castle) safely so that's that. Its a great place to stay in, seriously.

It snowed last night! Everything was really pretty in white (until it turned into yucky slush). Downside is, the temperature dipped from the high of 3degrees the previous day to -7degrees today. As I type, its -12degrees outside right now.
Right outside the hostel. Pretty, isn't it?

That's me before I came to the conclusion 2 streets down that if I don't cover my ears (hair not included) with something warm, they just might shrivel up and fall off.

Contrary to opinion, my shoes weren't waterproof nor cold-resistant, so I got cold feet quite quickly. Just as my eyes started watering, my nose started leaking and my feet went numb with no shops along the way to hide for a while, I spotted this really kitschy looking gift shop in a corner, which just happened to have a second entrance from The Sheraton hotel!

So I took refuge in there. Duh.
They have this interesting waterfall thingy behind a glass wall, with rocking chairs for people to recline in while taking in the "scenery". I'm not sure if it was meant for their guests only - in any case I settled into one of those chairs (all the while giving thanks) and scrutinised my map of Toronto.

Ah, underground Toronto!

Henceforth the remaining part of the journey to Eaton Centre (Toronto's largest shopping centre) was underground.

I had lunch. And found my boots.

And then I ventured out again.
City hall! War memorial here...

Another view of City Hall.

I noticed a skating rink in the area, plus a rehearsal on a makeshift stage, so I logically deduced that the NYE festivities would be in the area. And I was right!
Didn't stay for it though - I was freezing, alone, and unsure of the way back to the hostel. So I'm here now, 11.43pm, in the hostel, with some new friends. I'm the only nut drinking tea while they all down alcohol, but without my tea I'd be gone even before the clock strikes 12.

Okay, happy new year all! I'm going down. Heehee.