2202 test was a nightmare. I gave up keeping track of the number of wrong answers after I hit 5 out of 30. The 1st question utterly pissed me off, seriously. I approached the question the same way the professor did when he explained it to my group (because some people asked him during lab) but I couldn't arrive at an answer!! Maybe I lost my head as time wound down and missed out something - will need to wait for the post mortem season after the mid sem break to see the diagrams again.
Time to start serious work! I must stop slacking - my CAP must not go south again!
Lab was more interesting though, but nothing exciting - finally got to deal with bacteria cells (Escherichia coli dh5a strain, to be exact: I laughed my head off when I flipped through the protocol on Monday). The familiar smell of LB broth! =P I really hate PCR though, it fries my brain.
I'm running on caffeine now - staying awake long enough to see to certain things, and then its going to be bedtime.
Am quite irritated over something, but I guess its a learning point. Am quite amazed that it could actually happen - guess it takes all kinds of people for this world to be. As much as a realist and stubborn/determined I want to be, deep down inside I'm still stupidly idealistic and overly malleable.
---------------
Yesterday was a good day, academically at least. Metab was actually interesting (!!!), statistics was mildly dangerous (the lecturer was picking out people in black to answer his questions, and as luck would have it, I was wearing my ONLY black blouse), and molecular genetics was interesting too, even if I probably have to do some revision on the F+ and F' plasmids of e coli because I cannot remember many details.
SEP interview was.... urm. Not so good I guess. I learnt that I was ranked 5th out of 6 people who chose the same university in terms of CAP, which wasn't very good for the self-worth part. Don't think I answered their questions convincingly and adequately enough either, so I'm not very optimistic about my chances, to be honest. Oh well. I'd love to spend a semester in a US/Canadian university (especially US!) for the entire learning environment and experience, but if I don't I guess I could just channel all available funds to the mongolia medical internship/volunteer work thingy, which I am very keen on (exchange or not) but the same cannot be said on the parental approval side. Not to mention that I have been half fired from my tutoring job, which dents the money inflow.
On a long and deary 154 bus ride a few weeks back (Okay, not that long after all), I wrote out some of the things I hope to achieve by the time I graduate with my shiny new bsc (hons), 2nd Upper. (I have acknowledged that my 1st Class is but a distant dream now) They include:
- B1 competency in French (B1 as defined by the Council of Europe, lah.)
- First aid knowledge
- Backpack somewhere - perhaps Cambodia/Vietnam
- Life Science research (apart from FYP)
- Medical internship thingy
- Sit for mcat
- Regular volunteer work
- My driving license...!!!
among other things.
ANYWAYS, dinner/supper with nat, karin and eric was interesting too! =P
