dimanche 10 mai 2009

Thoughts in Munich.

It is 1215am and I'm sitting in the hostel in München. I miss Canada terribly - so much that I wanted to pass off as Canadian (with a sg accent, nonetheless) during the Dachau concentration camp tour today, but stopped myself because the person next to me was really Canadian and it would be harder to continue the wayang-ing if I really did. Tomorrow will be my flight back to sg. Can't say I look forward to it much, besides the fact that I'd see my family and friends at the end of it.

Managed to survive on 2 hrs of sleep on TO-München. The last time I had 2 hrs was in Melbourne, and I got teased terribly for the aftermath. The reason for my stupidity was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - hs kept pushing me to watch it but I just didn't feel like it, but my curiosity was piqued by the trailer on the inflight entertainment set and I watched all 166 minutes of it instead of SLEEPING. That's nearly 3hrs of sleep I missed out on!!! GAH. And I cried like a leaky bag of water towards the end. I must have been freaking out the guy sitting next to me - I sobbed when the plane manovered away from the gate, harder when it took off, with the thoughts along the lines of "LET ME DOWN LET ME OUT I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE CANADA" -repeat- (Attempts to be discrete about this water leakage were made, but I think it would still have been pretty obvious), during the film, and my eyes and nose just leaks when pressure changes on descent, so I was also "crying" as the plane landed in München. I must seem like I have a bad case of flying phobia hurhur.

I have also decided to continue with la Français, but that'd mean I'd waste approx $280 because I'd probably have to redo the last course I ended off on. Classes at AF are terribly expensive, but at least the lessons are decent.

Won't it be nice if some information we had in our brain was compartmentalised into various "cassettes" and every time we needed them we could just stick the correct tape and hit play and use the information on it? Say I have 3 different language tapes - Chinese, French and German. (My brain codes in English, so there is no need for a English tape) Every time I need to use one of these languages, I pop it in and voila! No mixing up of sentence structures, phrases, genders, accents... And if I'm not in class, I don't have to run the LSM tape that makes me such a no-lifer and stops me from saying things that I find interesting/amusing but not very appealing or worse, very disgusting to people not in the field at outings. Especially when I meet them for the first time. The last time I excitedly recounted the Guelph Cow Fistula to a bunch of people I met for the first time in Montréal, the look on their faces kinda said it all =|

Nothing in München is apparently open on Sundays, and church services auf Englisch apparently start at 4pm in most places - I bet that's because most people are too hungover on mornings due to sitting and prost-ing in various biergartens and bräuhaus around the city on Saturday nights. =P I wonder what I'm gonna do tomorrow before my flight. Argh.

Alrighty, it is 12.40am. Time to wash up and sleep! Am still jet-lagging though - its 6.40pm back where I spent my last few months, and I am not sleepy yet.

And I really want to eat poutine.