mercredi 1 avril 2009

Because I blog a lot more in the face of a crapload of work, paradoxically.

This conversation at the bus-stop on Friday replays in my head:

On languages...

Me: I like the sound of French! I didn't like it originally, but then I went to Montréal and I was like whaaaa French actually sounds this nice! I want to learn!
Kelly: That's weird, the French in Québec apparently sounds terrible in comparison to Parisian French!
Me: Heh I just like the sound of Québécois French I guess...

And the topic changed but I started to wonder - French is supposed to be a language that's very "light and floaty," for lack of a better phrase, and Québécois is apparently more rough sounding and throaty? (Or nasal, no idea) And grating on the ear. So why is it that I like the sound of this form of french better? In fact, before this entire business I found the sound of french very annoying, which was why I decided to learn german when choosing between the two languages. Kind of sad because now that I understand the cultures more I think I'm more francophile than germanophile - unless football is concerned =P (Deutschland 2010!) Contrary to what many people think, I think german sounds nice. (I've heard people saying that someone can be saying the sweetest things auf deutsch and it'd still sound vulgar). So maybe if I like the sound of german, which is supposed to be hard-sounding, and I only like Québécois french and not very much "proper" french which is supposed to be soft and floaty, then maybe I just like the extra "strength" that Québécois gives to "soft" french. 柔中带钢?

In other news, dinner tonight is FAIL. Cooking and thinking about embryology clearly do not go together. And I am drinking way too much apple and orange juice.

Also, I changed my fb language to french, in the hopes that it might give me some tiny bit of additional exposure to the language. Now, I'm afraid of clicking anything I don't automatically recognise, which makes me kinda want to spend less time on fb. Not such a bad idea in the face of exams, methinks. =P