I must say that the concert was pretty impressive, given the song list. I envy the juniors, really, they get all kinds of interesting songs to play around with.
Start random comments.
The concert booklet is really pretty. And its in colour! And ms chek looks really pretty in the conductor profile page. And nyco now has really scarily pro members. The soloists are all very impressive, they make the songs look simple. Percussion section is damn good. Think the drum item is easily the most outstanding item of the concert. The opening for shadier was very good - unfortunately it kind of fell apart later. diyierhu - the orchestra couldn't follow the soloist in many parts, which is a waste because the soloist was good. The pipa item was interesting - this isn't the first time I've heard this song, but its the first time I could actually visualise the scene that it was supposed to portray, so I think it was coordinated quite well. The erhu items... think these songs are overplayed, but the fact that they were used as group items and not solo items here says something about the members individual standards. Am not a fan of fusion music, so I thought the bali thingy wasn't very good. Taiyang is impressive. As an alumnus I'm quite glad that nyco is now capable of handling loud noisy pieces in addition to emotive pieces. The guzheng item was erm, quite bad. I've heard better renditions of that song from the same ensemble - this is probably my 3/4th time listening to this song. I don't think guzheng ensembles are conduct-able. It is an instrument that you have to LOOK AT to play. And I really hate the sound of many many many guzhengs at one go. Too noisy. 4 is already stretching the limit. The guzheng is a solo instrument. (I think I've said this many times haha) The alumni item is probably the best technically and balance-wise for orchestral piece. It could have been better, after all it is the product of all of 5? practices.
The orchestra standard is now quite high. The suonas were super good la! Very 准!! It is with some heartbreak that karin and I concluded that dizi is now the weakest section - after all the pushing from jm and the climbing that began with my batch and peaked at cn/j/jh/ys' batch and then it went down again. Maybe the drop isn't so great but when put in comparison to the other sections... Hmm. The best 音色 I heard all evening came from cn and j's playing - half of the time I couldn't tell if the juniors were playing 曲笛 or 新笛. Juniors must continue to 加油...
End random comments.
